8/16/2010

Our Quest for Happiness by Frank Vandersloot

I believe that a factor that is often overlooked in our search for happiness is the tremendous impact that our own moral compass has on our happiness. We all seem to have a moral compass--something inside of us that tells us what is morally "right" and what is morally "wrong". It's something that is inside each of us. When we live and act within the boundaries of our moral compass, we have peace of mind. When we find ourselves living or acting outside the boundaries of our moral compass, we don't like ourselves. And when we don't like ourselves we can never be happy. I suspect that this phenomenon has the greatest impact on our happiness. Liking who we are is, I believe, the most important aspect of finding happiness. I have often imagined a man standing in front of a mirror when he is 90 years old and saying to the person in the mirror, "I know you. I know everything about you. I know everything you've ever done. I know every thought you've ever had. I know every mistake you've ever made. And I know what you have done to try to correct those things. And therefore I like you. And I trust you!" I think that would be the ultimate test of our lives. If we can pass that test, we will have passed the test of life. We will like ourselves. And we will have lived a happy life.